Wednesday, September 29, 2010

6th Grade Math

6th Grade Math

There is nothing like 6th Grade math that makes you feel stupid.  I have spent a few hours tonight flipping through the pages of a well-worn book, smudged with pencil markings, sweat, tears and last year's boogers.  I have the brain retention of a gnat.  I actually saw one on the window tonight and envied it because it was knocking it's head against the window.



I remember Miss Bethard telling me in 6th grade that this was a tool that we would use for the rest of our lives.  Umm, sorry, I don't remember common multiples.  Had to look it up and relearn it tonight.  I actually had to relearn it for the third time.  Remember Micayla and Dale?  Had them first.  I'm a gnat.

Seriously, is it really going to matter if my child is sitting outside a restaurant that has two neon signs, one blinks every 9 seconds, the other sign blinks every 15 seconds; in how many seconds will they blink together again.  Is this a skill in life that they need to develop?  Are restaurant owners around the country hiring positions for neon time keepers?   

I don't recall one instance where I have needed a common multiple.  I have needed common things to multiply, but that's another story.  See, now if they could have taught THAT in school....   

There were always things in school that I thought we didn't need.  I saw absolutely no use for spelling tests in grade school.  I hve no idae wyh.  Its so stoopid.  

Or timed math tests.  I got so nervous.  All I could see was the clock ticking by.  Kristen Lien always got done first.  I wanted to kick her.  Or break the clock.  

Reading comprehension was the same thing.  I saw white.  I'd read the same paragraph three times.  I'd read it once, then think, "I don't remember what it said."  So I'd read it again. But while I was reading it the second time I was thinking, "I can't believe I have to read it again, I better pay attention." But by then I was done.  So then I'd have to read it a third time.  By that time, it was a literally floating, opaque, etherial page in front of me. My toothpick underarms were raining sweat, the clock was hammering seconds away in the corner and I was nearly undone.  All over a paragraph. 

Gym showers.  I could have done without that little joy in my life.  I could have done without gym.  I had four years of cramps to get out of that class.   

History timelines.  Somehow the dates of the Revolutionary War has never come up in my day to day conversation.  Maybe it has for you, but not so much for me.  Remember, I'm a gnat, so dates were a KILLER for me.  I could remember people, events, eras, etc.  But to put the actual date and "timeline" together? Ugh!  Forget about it.  

But looking back on school, there was a purpose in it all.  I obviously needed those spelling tsets.  Ttses.  I mean, tests.  =)  You all wouldn't be able to make it through this blog without reading comprehension, so that's good, right?  I think history and math and science and social studies...while we may not use it every day it does give us a well roundness.  Even gym prepares us for a healthy lifestyle.  Altho' those gym showers... (shudder).

The best part of school was the teachers.  I'm 37, yet to this day I think I can recite all of my teachers beginning with kindergarten.  Nope.  I take that back.  Preschool.  (Barbara and Nancy.  Nancy had the most beautiful long, strawberry blonde hair I had ever seen.  Barbara died from breast cancer years later) Some of those teachers have shaped me into who I am today.

My high school English teacher, Mr. Kraemer believed in my writing.  He was the first teacher that made me believe that I had any talent. He encouraged me, corrected me, believed in me.

My choir teacher, Miss Behm, was the first person outside of my family that said I could sing.  She heard me sing and cried.  That made me feel special.  She encouraged me to press on...to take voice lessons.  I'm better because of her.

My 5th grade teacher, Miss DiMartino was mean.  At first.  I thought she didn't like me.  But she was the first one that treated me, well, normal.  I was the baby in the family and was use to having the sun rise and set in me.  She taught me to be normal. And to not pop my gum in class.  I loved her.

There are many, many teachers that I could highlight.  So, even though I hate math to this day, even though Nikki's homework makes me feel incredibly stupid, I'm glad that she, as well as the other kids, have teachers that are impacting their lives forever.  At their age it's hard to see the big picture.  Someday they'll know that sometimes it's not about the books, it's about the relationship.

Thank you, teachers, for your sacrifice, love and commitment to your students.  You'll never know the lives that you are changing.  

3 comments:

  1. Very nice article Rebecca! Miss DiMartino. Wow! I had her two and all I can remember is her reading those books about Narnia all the time. Not sure what I really learned in her class! Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

    Jeremy Raether

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very well written article!! I enjoyed it alot... hhhmmmm if my memory serves me right, I think Dad read your history books...:)

    Keep up your writing and singing...:)\

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...memories of school, makes you think back a (long) ways..thanks Rebecca! :)
    I throughly enjoy reading your blogs...keep it up!

    ReplyDelete