Friday, October 8, 2010

Appearances

Appearances


It's so easy to feel like a failure.  So easy to be hard on ourselves.  We go to church, put on our masks of perfection and inside feel like the biggest hypocrite that has ever graced the sanctuary.  We run frantically around the house to get ready, are irritated when the juice gets spilled down the dress, yell for the kids to get in the car and screams for them to stop arguing all the way to church.  Then the plastic smiles go on as soon as the car rolls onto the pavement.  Appearances.

We hate the phrase, "you hurt the ones you love the most" because they are the ones that you want to be the most kind to.  We don't want to be irritated, cross or frustated, but it seems like that's what's left over after the mask slips.  It's exhausting.  Appearances.

We talk to our unsaved friends and try not to let our guard down.  We hold ourselves up to unrealistic expectations that are impossible to attain.  Fearing that they will see our true selves and not Christ.  Afraid that if we make a mistake, it will be the impardonable sin.  Appearances.

But in the quietness of our room, we know exactly who we are.  The mask comes off, the plastic grin is melted away, the mirror is held closely to our face and reveals every blemish.  

Today is one of those days.  It seems like the bills are piling up and the food is dwindling down.  Anxiety is rising, money is quickly disintegrating.  There's nothing like talking to a bill collector that makes you feel inadequate.  It's depressing.

It's easy to sulk, wallow, stew...be content in that muck.

Then as I was sloshing about in the slime, Abrieanna popped her head in the living room.  "Hey, Mom? What should I put in this container?"

"What is it for?" I asked as I brushed stupid, selfish tears away.

"I need to find a present.  A birthday present." She said through a big, cheesy, toothy grin.

"Who's the present for?" I tried to think of any friends that had a birthday coming up, and I certainly wasn't going to let her pack it away in my Tupperware.

"It's for my invisible friend.  She needs a gift.  She told me it's her birthday and she needs a gift.  Like now.  I don't know what to give her, but she wants something...and a snack.  I think she wants gum,"  she giggled.  Hmm, I started to think this friend's name was Abrieanna.

"Oh really? What's your friend's name?"

"Uh, let me go ask," as she ran into the kitchen.

She came flying back, "Her name is Anna, and she wants gum, and a donut and a doll.  Puleeez?"  She stood there begging and dancing as if her bladder was holding five pounds of pee.  I grinned.  Well, who could ignore the plea of a birthday girl?

I know it's simple; it may sound silly and stupid to you, but I'm so thankful God brought that little conversation at that moment to bring me out of the muck and help me focus on something else.  It reminded me a verse:  Psalm 40:2  "He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand."  I forgot that He was my firm stepping stone.

It's easy to have Satan pee those 5 pounds that Abrieanna was dancing, into our ear.  The filth and vile of unworthiness, shame and failure.  It's so easy to believe the bad stuff rather than the good. Jesus said clearly in John 10:10 that Satan "comes to steal, kill and destroy..." Since "the joy of the Lord is our strength" (Psalm 28:7) then he certainly wants to steal our joy.  Since I have a relationship with Christ and have "confessed with my mouth and said that 'Jesus is Lord' and believe that God raised him from the dead, I am saved" (Romans 10:9 paraphrased), then he wants to kill my salvation.  He wants to destroy my life like he did the firstborn of Israel.  He's The Destroyer.  But Hebrews 2:14 tells me "...by His death <Christ> he might destroy the power of death--which is the devil." Yet Satan does everything he can to block that from my mind.  My native language is English; his native language is lying.
  
Yet the last part of John 10:10 says, "...but I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance, to the full, till it overflows."  I believe when we put masks and plastic smiles on, we are cheating ourselves of what God wants to give us; His promises for our life. The Scriptures that my parents engrained in me as a child are brought to the surface when I call upon the name of the Lord.  My self worth, successes, failures, image...none of it is tied up in who I really am.  What I need to remember is who I am in Christ when Satan is whispering in my ear and when I'm tempted to put that mask on my face.   God wants His riches to bubble up and overflow my bathtub of life.

So, who am I?


I am alive with Christ (Ephesians 2:5)
I am free from the law of sin and death (Romans 8:2)
I am far from oppression, and fear does not come near me (Isaiah 54:14)
I am born of God, and the evil one does not touch me (1 John 5:18)
I am holy and without blame before Him in love (1 Peter 1:16; Ephesians 1:4)
I have the mind of Christ (Philippians 2:5; 1 Corinthians 2:16)
I have the peace of God that passes all understanding (Philippians 4:7)
I have the Greater One living in me; greater is He Who is in me than he who is in the world (1 John 4:4)
I have received the gift of righteousness and reign as a king in life by Jesus Christ (Romans 5:17)
I have received the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Jesus, the eyes of my understand being enlightened (Ephesians 1:17, 18)
I have received the power of the Holy Spirit to lay hands on the sick and see them recover, to cast out demons, to speak with new tongues.  I have power over all the power of the enemy and nothing will harm me (Mark 16:17, 18; Luke 10:17,19)
I have given, and it is given to me; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over (Luke 6:38)
I have no lack for my God supplies all of my needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19)
I can quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one with my shield of faith (Ephesians 6:16)
I can do all things through Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:13)
I will do even greater works than Christ Jesus (John 14:12)
I am God's child-for I am born again of the incorruptible seed of the Word of God, which lives and abides forever (1 Peter 1:23)
I am God's workmanship, created in Christ unto good works (Ephesians 2:10)
I am a new creature in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17)
I am a spirit being; alive to God (1 Thessalonians 5:23; Romans 6:11)
I am a believer, and the light of the Gospel shines in my mind (2 Corinthians 4:4)
I am a doer of the Word and blessed in my actions (James 1:22,25)
I am a joint-heir with Christ (Romans 8:17)
I am more than a conqueror through Him Who loves me (Romans 8:37)
I am an ambassador for Christ (2 Corinthians 5:20)
I am part of a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a purchased people (1 Peter 2:9)
I am the righteousness of God in Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21)
I am the temple of the Holy Spirit; I am not my own (1 Corinthians 6:19)
I am the head and not the tail; I am above only and not beneath (Deuteronomy 28:13)
I am His elect, full of mercy, kindness, humility, and longsuffering (Romans 8:33; Colossians 3:12)
I am forgiven of all my sins and washed in the Blood (Ephesians 1:17)
I am delivered from the power of darkness and translated into God's kingdom (Colossians 1:13)
I am redeemed from the curse of sin, sickness and poverty (Galatians 3:13; Deuteronomy 28:15-68)
I am firmly rooted, built up, established in my faith and overflowing with gratitude (Colossians 2:7)
I am called of God to be the voice of His praise (2 Timothy 1:9; Psalm 66:8)
I am healed by the stripes of Jesus (1 Peter 2:24; Isaiah 53:5)
I am raised up with Christ and seated in heavenly places (Colossians 2:12; Ephesians 2:6)
I am greatly loved by God (Colossians 3:12; Romans 1:7; 1 Thessalonians 1:4; Ephesians 2:4)
I am strengthened with all might according to His glorious power (Colossians 1:11)
I am submitted to God, and the devil flees from me because I resist him in the Name of Jesus (James 4:7)
I press on toward the goal to win the prize to which God in Christ Jesus is call us upward (Philippians 3:14)
For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love, and a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7)
It is not I who live, but Christ lives in me (Galations 2:20)
I am an overcomer by the blood of the Lamb and the word of my testimony (Revelation 12:11)


THAT'S who I am! 


Search Amazon.com for Joyce Meyer
Search Amazon.com for who i am in christ

4 comments:

  1. WHOOOOOOOOOOOO - HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Yes, Yes, YES and AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!! I REALLY NEEDED TO HEAR THAT TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you, sweet, beautiful, Rebecca!!!!!!!!! Thank you for posting and for presenting the authenticity of your life and your heart... A friend of mine said the other day that the Bible is Holy because it tells the Whole story... we are afraid to tell our whole stories... And yet the story is still there... Jesus said to confess our faults one to another that WE may be HEALED!!! Thank you for participating in the healing of not only your own funk but mine as well! I haven't seen you in far too long, but I love you and I am so grateful for the eternal impression you have made and continue to make on my life, even if from a distance... You are such a BLESSING to me!!!!!! Love you! Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I'm right there today as well. No job, feel less of a man, no wife, tired of being an ex husband, no relationship with son, feel less as a father and the list goes on and on. Then I read this and now I feel pretty good as a man because God has a plan! Ty Rebecca for being true and faithful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, another wonderful story. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant, poignant, and laden with truth! Your transparency is so inviting, and the Word of God is captivating! Thank you for exposing us all so that we can be covered by His grace.

    ReplyDelete